Monday, December 10, 2012

17 Ugly Miles and the Twelve Days of Crossfit

It's Monday. And I think I am still recovering from Friday. Let me fill you in.

All last week I was in a funk. Actually, I'm still in a funk. But Friday I was hoping that if I could just get myself out the door for a long run, I would feel better and my run-love would be back in full swing.

Well, I got myself out the door by saying I only had to get in 12 miles, but I was hoping my mojo would return and I could get in 20. I knew it would make me feel better for the 50k next weekend, since I haven't done a long run since the Seattle Marathon.

I started off okay. I turned on my music (which I hardly listen to while running anyways) and just plugged away. There was a lot on my mind that kept me occupied for the first 8 miles or so. I won't say the miles were fun, but I didn't hate them, either. Finally I started feeling good around mile 8, which lasted until mile 12. At that point, I was much further from home than I wanted to be. And I was done. Just done. My legs didn't want to go anymore, my left hip was a mess (I have torn cartilage in that hip from dancing) and I was exhausted. Of course, I immediately started getting down on myself and wondering how the heck I was going to do 30 miles in a week. I finally made it back to my apartment after 17 miles and spent the rest of the afternoon either eating or napping.

Also happening on Friday was my Crossfit box's annual "12 Days of Crossfit" workout that I didn't want to miss. Obviously I rallied and made it into the gym to workout with my friends.


I had lots of fun working out with my friends, but this workout was killer! I finished in 27 minutes right next to my friend, Beth!

You start with the 100 meter sprint. Then you do a 200 meter bear crawl and 100 meter sprint. You continue like that until you are doing all 12 "days". Ouchies!

Beth and I finished together. Just as it should be!
Obviously we came as twins. Because that's what we do. Just kidding! It was totally accidental.


One of the gym owners was there with her camera, and she caught lots of shots of us working out. Some were pretty bad*ss.

Knees to elbows.
Some were not.

Beth and I dying. All in good fun. 
At least we had fun. If you want to call death my Crossfit "fun", which I DO!

Of course, the workout kicked my butt, but I didn't realize the extent of it until I woke up the next morning feeling like a I had been run over by a truck. Not kidding.

I am STILL sore and in recovery mode. I pretty much have one goal for the week: don't kill myself before my 50k on Saturday. My only goal for the actual race is to finish. And I am determined not to get down on myself if I have to walk a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment