Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Running, Murph-ing and Chia Coconut Energy Bites

This morning I woke up to the sound of insane rain and wind. I had planned to head to Discovery Park to knock out 10 miles, and I was determined when I went to bed last night. I was NOT going to take this one to the treadmill.

After seeing the monsoon happening out of my window this morning, I decided to scratch Discovery. As much as I wanted some hills, the slippery stairs were just going to be a recipe for disaster.

I put on my game face and headed out to brave the elements. I got started and by this time the rain had dissipated a little. By the time I hit mile 3, it was totally dry! definitely should have taken it to Discovery. Oh well! By the time the sun came out, the skies were clearing! How lucky!


I ended up having an amazing run! I'm not sure how, but I was going so fast for most of the 10 miles! After 5.5 I literally had to will myself to turn back around and head back so I could make it to a CrossFit workout. I love it when that happens! 10.77 happy miles in an hour and 27 minutes!


I finished up with a huge smile on my face. This was definitely the run I needed before the Seattle Marathon this weekend. It's always nice going into a marathon to have a little confidence to spare! Although I'm not really "racing" the Seattle Marathon. I'm using it more as a training run for my 50k in December. But that's another post for another time!


At my gym (the one I work at, not Crossfit), we have a WOD board. I am pretty much the only one that updates it. Which is sort of fun because I can work on programming workouts and learn what works and what doesn't. I decided yesterday to stick up a Thanksgiving special workout: Murph. This is one of Crossfit's benchmark workouts and it is a killer. Try it and you will see! I've only done this one once, and it was when I first started Crossfit. Thinking about working this out Friday evening.


Switching gear here.

One of my favorite on-the-go foods are Larabars. I frequently eat them between workouts and after long runs before I can get a real meal in me. The only thing I don't enjoy about Larabars are the price tag. Why do they need to be so freakin' expensive. Unfortunately, I don't have a food processor or I would make my own (it's actually not hard at all!). 

But I was excited to find these Chia Coconut Bites. They are a perfect snack on the run and they include chia seeds! I love my chia seeds. I used to eat them every morning (I'm not sure why I stopped). This little super food is awesome! Full of fatty-acids, protein and antioxidants. They also absorb water, which is a good thing for endurance athletes. 


Chia Coconut Energy Bites

1/2 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup chia seeds
1/2 cup raw chocolate cocoa nibs
1/2 cup almond butter
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes then roll into bite-sized balls. Place in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for up to a week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment