Tuesday, November 6, 2012

My Winter Race Plans

Even after my amazing "NYC Marathon Seattle-Style" this weekend, I was itching to actually run a sanctioned marathon. My friends put on one heck of an amazing show for me, but I definitely missed that excitement and nervous energy of a real race with thousands of other runners.

What's a girl to do? Lots of marathons on the East coast had announced discounted race entry for NYC Marathon runners, but it is not in the cards for me to fly back to the East coast.

After a little google fun on Saturday, I realized the Seattle Marathon was happening at the end of the month. AND that they were offering a discount to NYC runners. Well now, isn't that interesting! The gears immediately started turning and before you knew it, I was asking if anyone on twitter was planning to run that day.


I got several responses, with several other people running the half! Of course, I immediately got race envy and decided that I wanted to run too! Other responders said they had run it before and it was a tough course.

Whatever. I just want to run a marathon. So, of course, now I am all registered and have begged my boss for a day off. This is happening!

So, my race calendar for the upcoming winter months has definitely gotten quite full! In chronological order, here are the races I am signed up for and my plan for them:

Green Lake Gobble Gobble 10k November 18


I am taking this race about as seriously as I take bowling. Aka, the opposite of serious. I am running with a few friends and we WILL be dressing up like turkeys. Because we are turkeys. Actually, my plan for the day is to head out to Tiger Mountain afterwards and get in a long run.

Seattle Marathon November 25


I'm not exactly sure my plan of attack for this race yet. Since I am going to be in the middle of training for 2 50ks, I think I am just going to try and enjoy the race and have fun! It would be nice to work for a sub-4 hour marathon, but I think in the middle of working towards 2 50k's is not the right time to do that.

Pigtails Flat Ass 50k December 15

I think this is going to be the perfect first 50k for me. It is supposed to be flat, and with lots of friends registered, it's sure to be lots of fun, too. My goal is just to finish 50k. I have no grand plans for a time at all! Slow and steady wins the race.

Fat Ass 50k January 5

Recycled photo, not of Tiger Mountain, but it's similar trail-wise.
This is going to be a tough race, I'm not going to lie. Tiger Mountain is business and no joke. The hills are one thing, but the trail is also super technical. This race is pretty small and sort of only for those "in the know", so I'm not going to have the energy of a lot of runners. There is a loop that is 25k, which I will be doing twice for the full 50k. The first lap, ultra marathoner Jess and I will be running together and then we will be joined by the rest of our Level IV Nooner team for the final lap (they are only running a 25k). I am going to be so proud for having finished this one!

Eugene Marathon April 28


I am so incredibly excited for this marathon! On my way to New York this past weekend, I watched Without Limits, the story of Steve Prefontaine and was so inspired. I can't wait to feel the magic in Eugene and to pay homage to such a racing and running legend. Depending how spring training goes, I am hoping to run close to a 3:45. More on this later, but I've got a new plan to incorporate some track workouts into my week. And since I ran a 4:16 trail marathon this weekend, I definitely think this is possible!

Any fun races I should be doing this winter that aren't on my schedule?? Please fill me in!

No comments:

Post a Comment