Thursday, November 8, 2012

Favorite Snacks

Admittedly I'm a pretty big snacker. Of course, I eat real meals, but since I am often flitting from activity to activity, I find that it works to eat snacks more throughout the day. It keeps my energy up and I always feel satisfied!

I thought I would share some of my favorite snacks with you today. Most of these I either make when I am home during a break in the day, or I will make at home and bring with me for a healthy snack on the go!


I absolutely love Tina's blog. I read it almost daily and I am a big fan of her "recipes". This nut butter cookie is a great recipe. Sometimes I will make it as is. Sometimes I will add half a banana or some canned pumpkin. This is a great one to make and bring in a tupperware container to eat later!

Nut Butter Cookie for one from Carrots N' Cake.

  • 2 tbsp nut butter
  • 2 tbsp liquid egg whites
  • 1-2 tsp honey
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp cinnamon
Directions: Coat a microwaveable-safe bowl with nonstick cooking spray. Then, combine all of the ingredients in the bowl and mix well. Microwave for 60 seconds.

Like I said, I love Tina's blog. This is actually a breakfast recipe, but I often make it for a snack. It is super satisfying and filling, but without being heavy. I never have a problem eating this and then heading straight to teach class or train. I have even eaten this before a workout and been fine as well!

Sweet Breakfast Scramble, again from Carrots n' Cake. 
  • 1 frozen (or regular) banana
  • 1 egg
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1/2 cup mashed squash (I used acorn squash; pumpkin would probably work too)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • Nut butter (optional)
Directions:
  1. Microwave banana for 40 seconds to soften.
  2. Combine banana with eggs, squash, cinnamon, and vanilla extract; blend well.
  3. Coat skillet with melted coconut oil (or cooking spray) and pour in batter.
  4. Cook on medium heat until eggs are no longer runny; stir frequently.

This is a great on the go option as well. Apple chips are just so yummy! I could eat an entire batch in one sitting, no problem! My apple chips never got crispy. I think I just got impatient waiting for them to finish in the oven and probably crowded my baking sheet. Nonetheless, I enjoyed eating them plain, on top of oatmeal or in yogurt.

Baked Apple Chips from The Lean Green Bean.
  • Apples
  • Cinnamon
1. Core apples if desired.
2. Slice apples as thinly as possible. A mandolin would be helpful, but not necessary.
3. Place on a greased baking sheet (or use a silpat).
4. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
5. Bake at 225 degrees F for one hour.
6. Flip apple slices over and bake for 1 hour more.
7. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
8. Store in an airtight container.

Chia seeds are known to be good for restoring electrolytes and have generally been known to be an endurance athlete's best friend. I will sometimes sprinkle them on my breakfast or in a smoothie, but this "pudding" is another great idea! I usually have to let it sit overnight for the mixture to actually get to a pudding consistency, but its fun to eat and tastes like dessert!

Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding
from Oh She Glows
  • 3/4-1 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin, chilled if possible
  • 2 tbsp chia seeds
  • 2 tbsp GOOD tasting vanilla protein powder, optional
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon, or more to taste
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • pinch of nutmeg
  • 1-2 tbsp maple syrup, to taste
1. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together all ingredients until combined and no clumpy bits remain.
2. Place bowl in the fridge for 1-2 hours or overnight, to thicken and chill.
3. Serve with raisins, walnuts, or crushed ginger cookies if desired.
Any fun recipes out there that I'm missing?!

No comments:

Post a Comment