Thursday, November 29, 2012

Discovery and Split Jerks

My favorite trail-running inspiration has left me for Africa for a few weeks (ultra-marathoner Jess), so I have been on my own. I was planning on running some trails last week, but it was a rainy mess and I didn't want to be all alone. Waaahhh!

Luckily, I still had a great run last Wednesday.

Yesterday, I put on my big girl pants and took my run-love to Discovery Park. While it's not my favorite trail, it's close-by and I know it very well. There are also lots of people around so I couldn't get too lost!

It was a nice, cold morning. And it wasn't raining yet! Perfect recipe for a great run!


I started out on the 5 mile loop. And figured depending how I felt, I would either do 2 5-mile loops, or do a 5 mile and a 3 mile. Listening to my body. This is a new thing. =)

It felt great to be running the trails again, and the mountains were out with lots of snow covering them! I'm afraid for my Tiger Mountain 50k and the possibility of snow. I guess I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

The only problem with the 5 mile loop at Discovery Park is the abundance of stairs around mile 2.5. Literally so. Many. Stairs. As I ran up to the stairs that led down to the waterfront, I was welcomed by a "trail closed" sign. 

Meh. Whatever. I figured I'd see how it was and turn around if I had to.


It was totally fine and I couldn't figure out why the sign was there. Oh well!

I ended up with 8 miles. Nothing too strenuous, just loving the miles.

The rest of my day was spent getting some work done before heading to Crossfit. I was feeling tired, but usually by the time I get to my box I feel ready to go!

That didn't happen yesterday, but I was happy to be there as usual. 

We started off with 5 sets of 3 split jerks. I know. Split jerks sound so complicated. But they're not. You basically throw the barbell over your head as you jump your legs apart. The below video is not me, in case you couldn't tell.


I didn't get very far in weight, but I had fun trying!

Our WOD was a 12 minute AMRAP (as many rounds as possible).


For the dumbbell split jerk, you start with a dumbbell in your hand. Begin from a deadlift and do the same split jerk above your head. Four per side. Good times.

Looking forward to another sweat-filled Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment