Monday, August 27, 2012

Weekend Workouts

Happy Monday! First things first. Check out this adorable pup I have been dog sitting for all weekend:


Her name is Daisy and she is a lab/visla mix, or so the owners think. She is just hilarious. Not only does she sleep on the bed with you, but she puts her head on the pillow and burrows under the covers like a real human! The first night I spent with her I was just cracking up. I've never owned a dog that was allowed on the bed, let alone under the covers!

I went to CrossFit Saturday morning for a workout. I've felt like a lot of our workouts at the box lately have been cardio-heavy. And as much as I love those (since I'm pretty good at them), I always enjoy a little break to work on something different. I had never done hang snatches before. And, of course, I wasn't using the weight in that video. We started off the workout practicing those and finding a difficult weight for 3 reps, then set up for the WOD.
The most difficult part of this WOD for me was actually the push press. I found the hang snatch to be mostly about balance and core, both of which I can turn on easily! Shoulder strength, not as easy!

The hi-light of my Saturday was certainly teaching two fitness classes in the afternoon! I was so nervous for some reason. Probably since it was my first class. I taught a tabata class (20 seconds work, 10 seconds rest) and a core class. 
Fitness class studio. Hope to teach many more classes in you!
I am very lucky to have several awesome group exercise mentors who are helping me through the process of teaching. I was able to get lots of feedback on my classes and have some things to work on for my next ones! However, as much as I have to improve upon, the group fitness director loved the classes and is setting up several permanent classes for me to teach in the fall! Woo!


To round out my excellent weekend, I had an awesome 15 miler on Sunday morning. It was the perfect day for a long run and I decided to head out to Seward Park and run along Lake Washington Blvd. Of course, 15 miles is not easy by any stretch of the imagination. By "awesome" I mean that my neuroma hardly hurt and I never felt like I was going to die if I didn't stop. I think the key here is not to attempt a long run right after a Crossfit workout (duh). 


My run wasn't insanely fast or spectacular in any way other than the fact that I enjoyed myself pretty much the entire time. It has been awhile since a long run felt so good for me.


After my run I took the usual ice bath and enjoyed some sushi and popchips. Hey, don't knock it til you've tried it! I spent pretty much the rest of the day in recovery mode. Although I did enjoy several miles walking with Daisy to the farmer's market. 

This morning, I got up for 5 recovery miles, which felt slow, but surprisingly good! As usual, I had to run 3 miles and then open the gym before finishing the last 2. Hooray for starting Monday off on a good foot!

No comments:

Post a Comment