Friday, October 18, 2013

Cleaning at CrossFit

After a lovely long walk with Milo yesterday, I decided to run over to CrossFit for class. I knew what was on the agenda: cleans!

I actually really like cleans. And if you have no clue what I'm talking about, see this.

The Olympic lifting coach at my gym was teaching class yesterday, so I knew I was going to get some great coaching. 

We started with lots of drills with the PVC pipe and then did 3 sets of 3 heavy hang cleans (instead of taking the bar from the ground, you start with it just above your knees). After a million drills and front squats, my legs were already crying. 


And then we started the workout, which was as follows:

15 minute AMRAP (as many rounds as possible) with partner
5 jump and shrug
5 hang cleans
5 front squats
200 meter run
*Add weight each round
*You go, partner goes

I started with the empty bar, 15 kilograms (33 pounds). I got through four rounds, going up by 5 kilos each round. I ended with 30 kilos (66 pounds).

I think I could have gone up to 35 kilos, but we ran out of time and I was too smoked to try afterwards. The main problem I had in the workout was trying to keep the engagement in my quads on all the front squats. I seem to always want to put the work into my glutes. Which isn't a bad thing. That's just not how front squats are supposed to be done!

After class, I stayed and did a little pulling work.

In the classes I taught on Tuesday, I did a lot of push ups and wanted to give the pulling muscles a chance for the week.

I did 3 rounds of 10 ring rows and 10 kipping pull ups. I really need to work on dead hang pull ups, but I just wasn't feeling it yesterday!

Not sure what's on the agenda today workout-wise. Probably a long walk with Milo and a short run. I'm hoping to get in a 10 mile train run on Sunday, so I'd like to take it a bit easy the next few days.

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment