Thursday, September 27, 2012

Workout Recaps and Exciting Things on the Horizon

I am so good at post titles. I know that one really caught your attention!

Let's start with some workouts! I decided to take a rest day Monday. My body desperately needed it, plus I was working a double shift at work. Excuse enough for me! 

Tuesday afternoon we had a very effectual shoulder workout. By "effectual" I mean I could barely wash my hair that evening!

The workout was called: Death By...Push-ups and Pull-ups. You can really do this with any strength exercise, but our coach apparently just wanted to toast our arms for the week! 

Every minute on the minute you work, then rest until the next minute. First minute, you do 1 push-up, 1 pull-up. Second minute, 2 push-ups, 2 pull-ups. And you keep increasing the reps until you get to 20. No one in the class made it all the way to 20. When you "fail" and don't finish before the minute is up, you rest for the round and then cut your reps in half and start again from that point. Does that make sense? Am I speaking English???


Loved this workout. It wasn't challenging on my lungs, but boy my shoulders were spent!

Last night we did a very familiar workout for me: Tabata! I've mentioned it before, but I teach a Tabata class once a week at my gym. I love Tabata's for the intensity of the workout and the short time it takes. Our four Tabata's last night:

Box jumps
Sit ups
Push press
Rowing

In case you don't know what Tabata is, it is a very specific high-intensity workout where you do 8 rounds of 20 seconds of work, all out, followed by 10 seconds of rest. It may not sound like much, but it's a great workout! Teaching my class, sometimes I forget how difficult it is to do Tabata! When I teach, I do some of the exercises with my class, but not all of them. Doing my own Tabata workout every once in a while definitely makes me more empathetic!

Running-wise, I've had a good, but boring week. I've had several shorter 4 mile runs, which went fine, if not a little slow. Wednesday I had an appointment in Edmonds, so I decided to head up there early and run along the water. I incorrectly assumed the boardwalk along the water stretched on for a few miles. Wrong. It was only about a mile long and I had 8 miles to get in. Doh! At least the view was nice. It was a foggy morning, but it looked a bit like this:

Source
The rest of that 8 miler, I was blindly running around Edmonds trying to keep myself entertained. I ended up listening to some music and tuning out as best I could. And I made it. All was right with the world again!

A few exciting things on the agenda that I'm looking forward to! 

Friday night after CrossFit, my running buddies and I are headed trail running at night! Although I am most definitely #teammorning when it comes to running, I am excited to run in the mountains in the dark with my friends. It will be a big adventure! I am also going to laugh because we are all going to be sporting some awesome head lamps and reflective gear. One of the trainers at CrossFit said he was going to hide in the bushes in a bear costume and scare us. I laughed, but that would definitely scare the bageesus out of me!

Source
Also this weekend is the Tough Mudder! I have been so anxious about this race for the past few months and I can't believe it is finally here. Eeek! I don't have any goals for this race other than to come out alive and not injured. I am not worried at all about the running part. It's only 10 miles or so and I know some of the guys on our team are going to struggle getting through that many miles. My worry is the obstacles. The other girls and I have decided that none of us need to be heroes and have given ourselves free passes to skip obstacles if we need to.

Have a great Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment