Tuesday, September 25, 2012

A Seattle Tourist Weekend

As I mentioned yesterday, my friend Kali came in to visit me from Texas this weekend! Kali and I met as dancers in New York. We did several musical theater shows together in Brooklyn and were audition buddies as well. Kali is currently dancing on cruises and had a break in her busy schedule between contracts to come for a visit! She'd never been to Seattle, so I had to show her everything I could!
Making faces.
I got my long run done on Friday so we could spend as much time together as possible.

After I finished my long run, we headed out to my parents' house on the peninsula. We took the ferry out there and I was pretty disappointed because it was a very foggy and overcast day. Not the best way to represent yourself, Seattle!
Tree was too slimy to climb. Stupid moss!
Once we got to my parents' house, we enjoyed a lovely lunch (I was starving from my long run) and then went on a hike in Fort Warden. This is one of my favorite places for a walk and since I know it pretty well, I don't have to worry about getting lost.


Kali and I made sure to take lots of silly pictures in the forest and on the beach. Because it's important. Obviously.
Handstands for the win!

Hugs.
We had dinner with my parents and high-tailed it back to Seattle since I had to work in the morning. Boo!


After I got off work the next day, the weather cleared up (thank goodness!), so I took Kali to the Seattle waterfront and the "Great Wheel".


 I don't know why they call it a "Great Wheel" and not just the Seattle Ferris Wheel, but whatever. They should've asked me to name it. Obviously I would have named it "Rodolfo The Wheel" or something equally as awesome.

I wasn't terribly impressed with the wheel. It was nice and I think it's a beautiful addition to the Seattle waterfront at night, but I think you get a better view from the ferry of Seattle, and the waterfront gives you the same view of the sound. Next time, I think I will just take visitors up the Space Needle, since it is similar in price and so iconic.


Afterwards, I took Kali to Alki Beach in West Seattle. We started at one end and walked a mile or two to the other end. We had a lovely little walk, although it was a bit chilly. I love Alki. It is one of my favorite places in Seattle, especially when it isn't super crowded. You really can't beat the view of Seattle!
Cartwheeling! Love!
Nor of Seattle's very own Lady Liberty. Don't tell me were not classy in the Pacific Northwest!
Lady Liberty, Seattle style.
We had dinner at Cactus on Alki. I love this place. It is so unique and fresh and everything I have tried here is simply amazing! They classify their dishes as Southwest and Mexican. I ended up with the Sonoran Spa Chicken, which had great cilantro flavors and just enough veggies and chicken! Kali ended up with the Butternut Squash Enchiladas, which were fantastic! Neither of us had ever thought of putting butternut squash in a Mexican dish before, but it totally worked! They were very sweet with hints of cinnamon and chocolate in the mole sauce.

After dinner, our waiter brought us their Three Milk Cuban Flan on the house! Holy cow it was so good! We dominated it.

Trying to take a pic of ourselves.  Someone sign us up for
photography school immediately.
After dinner, we walked back to the car along Alki at sunset. It was magical, if not a tid bit chilly!

The next morning, we met my trail running friends for a run around Discovery Park again. The weather was brisk, but it was perfect for running!

Waiting for everyone else to arrive. Perfect time for car photos!
We had another nice trail run! I was still pretty tuckered out from Friday's long run, I think, so I was dragging a bit. It's times like those I love running with friends who can pick you up and assure you that its just one of those days. I always feel so much better commiserating with my runner buddies!

Garmin says 7 trail miles in 1:11. Garmin probably lost signal,
so it was closer to 8 miles.
The rest of the day Kali and I spent downtown. We started at Pike Place Market. Back in New York, Kali and I had spent many an afternoon wandering around and finding great farmers markets and stores. It felt like we were back in New York again and I was just so happy to be wandering around with my friend!

Kali loved watching the flying fish and we made sure to see the pig, the first Starbucks and all the lovely vendors.



No, Sir, I really don't want to kiss your fish!
Afterwards, we meandered over to Pioneer Square for the Underground Seattle tour. The original city of Seattle was actually wiped out by a fire, so when the city rebuilt, they built everything on top of the old city. It was fascinating to hear stories and see the "bottom" of so many buildings in the area. Our tour guide had lots of fun stories to tell us about the crazy people who built the city!

Ready to head underground.
We finished the day off by taking the monorail over to Seattle Center. Of course, we found some random statues along the way and had to stop and take pictures!

Kali and I decided to save our money since we'd already done the tour and the Great Wheel. We didn't go up in the Space Needle, but I made Kali go to the base because I feel like its a must for a first time Seattle visitor!


At the fountain at Seattle Center.
No idea why it was boring and not turned on!
It was such a fun weekend and it was so sad to say goodbye to Kali! Hopefully I'll see her soon!

1 comment:

  1. This is an amazingly DELISH recipe for butternut squash & black bean tacos I've made several times!

    http://www.digginfood.com/2008/11/butternut-squash-tacos-with-spicy-black-beans/

    ReplyDelete