Monday, December 9, 2013

Sweaty Sweaty at Core Power Yoga

I went to hot yoga this weekend and holy cow did I sweat more than ever! Let's start on Friday, though.


Milo and I headed out to run some of the trails at Discovery Park. It's been a few weeks since I took Milo out to really run, so we were due for an adventure. It was cold, but I layered up and the only thing that was chilly on me was my fingers!

We ended up running about 4 slow miles and I felt great until the end, when my calves started telling me to chill. They have been tight since the marathon so I'm working to loosen them up.

Saturday I did another slow run, only about 3 miles this time. Still felt fine, although a little sluggish. One of the things I strongly dislike about marathons is the recovery time afterwards! So annoying! I just want to get back to my normal routine again!

Sunday I took my frost-bitten self to Core Power Yoga in Ballard to try their yoga-sculpt class.


This studio offers a free week trail before you sing up for a membership, so I took advantage of that awesome deal. I now declare this week: Yoga Week!

The studio is beautiful and the people seem to be very nice. One of the yoga instructors where I work said the studio is more about getting a workout than a good yoga practice. That sure didn't deter me, though. Sometimes I really enjoy a more meditative yoga experience, but, more often than not, I want to get in, do my thing, and get out.

I was really curious as to how the yoga sculpt was going to work. I grabbed some weights (3 lb, 5 lb, and 10 lb) and set up my mat in the super duper warm studio. It seriously felt like a sauna! Talk about defrost!


Then we got started. And I have NEVER sweat more in my life. Literally sweat was dripping off of me!

We warmed up with some flow and then we would get into different poses with our weights to lift. I didn't find most of the class very challenging other than the fact that I was sweating so much, which really made my heart rate skyrocket! The instructor was great, I think his name was Jaime. In the middle of class, we even did some cardio work, and there were burpees! Burpees in a yoga class...definitely not something I thought I would ever say! We ended with some traditional yoga flows and seated poses. I definitely appreciated the half pigeon we held on each leg.

I had a lot of fun, and can't wait to utilize the rest of my week pass! I'm hoping to try out a regular hot yoga class this afternoon. This time I WILL be bringing a water bottle with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment