Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Crossfit Fun With My Trainers

Yesterday, I headed over to my Crossfit gym to get my a** handed to me by my trainers. They invited my friend Beth and I to come work out with them for the afternoon.


Not sure about Beth, but I had grand illusions of doing a few squats, some military presses and then rallying for the 4pm class.

That's not exactly what happened!

We started off with squats, yes. But little did I know we were going to do a bagillion! (Yes, bagillion is a legitimate word). We got warmed up with some drills to get our systems firing and then started on back squats.

Oh squat rack, you kick my butt!
My coaches are so knowledgeable. Working with them, watching them and having them critique me, I get so much information. I feel like I should be taking notes! I feel really lucky to have them as teachers and instructors.

When I squat in class, it takes me a million years to figure out the right weights to use and switching them off and on the barbell takes forever. My coaches did it in seconds. It was so fast. I was flabbergasted!

I'm sorry to say I have no idea what the program was we were doing, nor do I remember how much weight I used. The last set for both Beth and I were more difficult for our arms and shoulders than our legs. Holding that dang barbell up on your back is tough work!

All of the squating took us about an hour. I was shocked that time was flying so fast! Oh, but we weren't finished, yet!

Our trainer had us grab dumbells to do split lunges. Split lunges mean you put your back foot on a box, or bench, and do single lunges on one leg. The thought being you can go down even further.

Source
By the third set, I was using 30 pound dumbbells for sets of 7 on each leg! My quads were SHAKING! Beth even did 35 pounds. Um, I guess we haven't been pushing ourselves as hard as we should be during classes?

We superset the lunges with even more squats, using a contraption I can't even remember the name of. It was basically a harness that you held over your shoulders to squat with. Not sure how much weight that was, either (pay attention next time, Allison!), but darn, those sets of 7 were rough!

After all those shenanigans it was "conditioning" time! Oh goodness gracious, I had no idea what I was in for!

Aerodine bike. This ish is CRAZY!
The above "bike" is called an aerodine. There is one at our Crossfit gym, but I had never been on it before yesterday. I figured it was just a regular bike, but OH how I was wrong! We did four 30 second intervals on that thing and I felt like my lungs were going to burst! Aaaaand I loved it, obviously. =)

After the fourth interval, I was so exhausted, but felt awesome! I am definitely going to have to go workout with the dudes more often. They kicked my butt!

Following one of our classes last week, one of our trainers did what is called a back lever. I made him repeat it yesterday so I could get a video of it. He literally looks like superman! Please note the music in the background =)


And with that, I leave you to your Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment